|Brothers in Arms - Original Version|
But this made me wonder: how many audiophiles are like this? How many actually cannot wait to get home from work and twist that good old volume knob knowing what awaits. I bet all of you are like this.
Sitting in your car and listening to the adequate playback system within, listening to your iPod while jogging around the park, or riding up the elevator - well, let's not go there. But coming home - that's what makes it all worthwhile. What awaits you in your magical audio parlor transports you to any event you wish to hear without leaving home. What other hobby can give you this amount of instant gratification?
So I've come to another conclusion about the characteristics or symptoms one must have to call yourself an audiophile. Here is what I've come up with so far:
10. Always on the lookout for or lusting after the newest and greatest piece of gear
9. Wanders into nearby audio salons during lunchtime
8. Eats dinner in front of your rig
7. Can't wait to demo your system to visitors
6. Carries a picture of your rig in your wallet
5. Loves swapping out pieces of equipment with other audiophiles
4. Subscribes to numerous audio-related publications, RSS feeds, and newsgroups
3. Goes on vacation to an electronics show
2. Dreams of new speakers and has nightmares about a house fire
Does this description fit you? How many of these characteristics do you possess? How many must you work on to know you can really call yourself an AUDIOPHILE? Passion and a lot of it is essential. I'm sure there are others but these are what I would call the minimum essentials.