From the sheer numbers of these stars, if say 0.0000001% (one out of 10,000,000) were capable of sustain intelligent life, that means that in the Milky Way alone, there are 30,000 stars in our "neighborhood" that could possibly sustain intelligent life, give or take a few thousand.
Our galaxy is pretty typical spiral-type galaxy meaning that there is a black hole at the center and everything slowly rotates around it like a child's pinwheel toy. Stars are grouped into arms that spiral toward the black hole in something called the central bulge meaning that at the center there are a lot of stars in more than just the galactic plane of the pinwheel. Like a basketball, these stars protrude above and below the galactic plane and the numbers of stars "per square foot" so to speak (stellar density) is much higher there than at the outer edge of the galactic plane. Below is an image from the COBE satellite of what our galaxy looks like from our vantage point.
Our star (the sun or Sol) is about 2/3 of the way out from the center in a pretty uninteresting part of our galaxy. Although there is no way for us to see a top view of this position, the picture below is of a galaxy nearby that we believe to resemble our own and from the arrow you can see roughly where on the pinwheel our sun is located.
I have given this some thought and it runs a little contrary to current wisdom but is based on what else: sound. The fact that there was no sound (no engine noise or sonic boom) meant that these two UFO did not disturb the atmosphere while passing through. Putting it another way, instead of slicing through the air like the wing of an airplane, these UFOs literally moved through the molecules of the atmosphere without disturbing their position or direction. In essence I believe they were able to pass through a solid wall like a ghost in a cheap Halloween movie.
How they did this is beyond my wildest imagination but I assume that somehow they manipulated the phase of their matter as compared to the phase of our matter thereby guaranteeing their molecules would pass unharmed right through ours. If you are youthful and are intrigued by this, I urge you to apply yourself and consider how something like this would be possible. Just think of what a technology like this could yield in the way of creating a speaker driver!
It will probably take a while for me to calm down and get the image of the UFOs out of my mind so please bear with me while I run off on a tangent to the high end for a while.
Yours for higher fidelity,
- Althea: A Story of Love
- Build an Extreme Green Composter
- The Extreme Green Guide to Wind Turbines
- Build and Extreme Green Hot Water Solar Collector
- The Extreme Green Guide to Solar Electricity
- The Extreme Green Guide to Improving Mileage
- Meditation for Geeks (and other left-brained people)
- Build an Extreme Green Raised Bed Garden
- Build an Extreme Green Rain Barrel
- Build an Extreme Green Squirrel-Proof Bird Feeder
- Extreme Audio 1: House Wiring
- Extreme Audio 2: Line Filtering
- Extreme Audio 3: Chassis Leakage
- Extreme Audio 4: Interconnect Cables
- Extreme Audio 5: Speaker Wires
- Extreme Green Organic Gardening
- Extreme Green Organic Gardening 2012
- The Extreme Green Appliance Buying Guide